Monday, June 14, 2010

Paying To Work

I just did it. I just registered for an acting seminar where I pay to be seen by a casting director. Basically, it's like paying someone to look at your resume so hopefully they will consider giving you a job interview. Not a job, a job interview.

Please don't think I'm complaining, I'm merely questioning my life choices. What did I sign up for? That is a very loaded question. I've been acting since I was an adolescent. Being an overweight teenager, theater was like my pom pom. It made me feel accepted, cool, on top of the world. So I decided this is what I must do with my life. And so I went.

I studied and worked hard. And took out loans. And took out more loans. Then five years ago, I graduated from acting school. I thought, this is it, I will no longer pay to act, I will be paid to act. So, I soon will go to my first seminar. Maybe five years too late. Yet another step, another check, to being paid to act.

1 comment: